Not to toot my own horn BUT…toot toot! There are some things I cook that make my mouth water just thinking about it AND this is one of them. This recipe came to be after the hubby and I went to a local restaurant that served a similar honey bbq marinated wing. I thought the addition of sriracha would absolutely set it off, and it certainly did. Get ready for a spicy, citrus party to go down in your mouth…let’s get started!
Rinse chicken wings, pat dry, place in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Set those aside, and let’s move on to the batter. This is REAL old school and very country but that’s me (I get it from my momma!). In a freezer bag add 2 cups of flour with a hefty shake of poultry seasoning, pepper, and garlic powder. Pour about 3/4 cups vegetable oil in a skillet and allow to heat up. In a separate bowl, crack 4 eggs and beat until all combined. This will give your wings that crispy skin. Now to batter the chicken. First, shake 4-5 wings at a time in the flour mixture, then dip the floured chicken into the egg wash, now back into the flour mixture for a second coating.
Repeat the breading process until all wings are covered. Place 6-7 wings in the hot oil and fry them up about 5-7 minutes on each side. Remove from the grease and place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess grease. I mean…check out these golden brown wings! It was really hard for me to not eat just the fried wings! But, onto the honey sriracha sauce!
In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once the butter has coated the pan, add 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup sriracha and juice of 1 lime. Allow all ingredients to simmer for 10 minutes. If you like a spicier wing add a few more squirts of sriracha. Once your sauce has simmered and your wings are fully cooked and drained, toss wings in a large bowl with sauce to cover all wings. Plate it up with a few stalks of celery and ranch dressing on the side. Seriously, make these next weekend and your beau, BFF, family or whoever will love you for life. Lol. Enjoy!
- 15 - 20 mini wings/drumsticks
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ honey
- ¼ sriracha
- ¼ soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons butter
- garlic powder
- poultry seasoning
- Rinse and pat dry chicken
- Season with salt and pepper
- Beat 4 eggs in small bowl and set aside
- Add oil to pan and allow to heat
- Add flour to freezer bag and season with poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Toss chicken in flour mixture
- Cover each piece of chicken in beaten eggs
- Add chicken covered in egg back into the flour mixture
- Place 5-6 chicken wings into hot oil and cook on each side for 5-7 minutes
- Remove cooked chicken from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool and drain excess grease
- In a saucepan add butter, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, honey and sriracha and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add chicken into large bowl and toss with honey sriracha sauce