So it’s been a minute and I’m not goin’ lie y’all, having a blog is like having a second job! I’m back now and I had to share this recipe with you. Last Friday I was in the mood to make something slightly healthy but super flavorful and my never ending inspiration search ended up on Food52, one of my favorite sites. I usually put my own spin on recipes that I find, but this needs no adjustments besides a few additional shakes of seasoning. It’s packed with nutrients from the kale, salmon, and sweet potatoes. Let’s get to it!
First up, rice. In a saucepan over high heat add 1 cup of jasmine rice, 1 cup of coconut milk, 1 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Once the water comes to a boil, turn the heat down to a low medium and cover the pan. Allow the rice to simmer for 15-20 minutes. While the rice is cooking, peel and dice the sweet potatoes, and chop the kale into medium size leaves.
Next, pre-heat oven to 400. In a medium sized bowl whisk vigorously 1/3 cup coconut oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 1/2 tablespoon sriracha. Lay the diced sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Toss so that all pieces are covered in coconut oil and sprinkle paprika, sea salt and pepper. Cook the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes until tender.
In a separate bowl, add the chopped kale and toss in 1 cup of coconut flakes, and 2/3 of the sriracha mixture sauce. Lay the kale mixture over a baking sheet and add salmon slices over the bed of kale and coconut flakes. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the salmon pieces and season with pepper. Place the salmon and kale in the oven for the last 15 – 20 minutes of the sweet potatoes roasting.
Remove both the sweet potatoes and the salmon from the oven, serve over the coconut rice, and drizzle with a few additional squirts of sriracha. Enjoy!
- 1 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Sriracha
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, ribs removed and sliced into strips
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1lb salmon filets
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 400
- Prepare rice with coconut milk and water
- Whisk coconut oil, sea salt, sesame oil, soy sauce, & sriracha
- Dice sweet potatoes and kale
- Toss sweet potatoes in coconut oil, sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper
- Bake for 30 mins
- Toss kale leaves with coconut flakes and ⅔ sriracha mixture
- Lay kale mixture on baking sheet
- Slice salmon into 4 inch pieces and lay over bed of kale
- Place salmon/kale into the oven for the last 15-20 minutes of the sweet potatoes roasting
- Serve salmon, kale, and sweet potatoes over jasmine rice. Drizzle sriracha over the plate.