Tonight I had a taste for tacos but I knew I needed a healthier alternative, so I put together a salad that gave me the same flavors without the added calories. All the salad requires is a few chops and a quick whisk. Here we go!
Dice and season chicken breasts with cumin, black pepper, salt, and oregano. Place in a grill pan and cook for about 5 minutes until all pieces are cooked thoroughly. Set the chicken aside and let’s move on to dicing!
Cut off the stem of the lettuce and chop in strips. I prefer to have my lettuce in small pieces so I go over the strips again to make a bit smaller. Add lettuce to a large bowl along with matchstick carrots, diced avocado, corn, black beans (drained), and chicken. Squeeze 1 tablespoon of lime juice over all the ingredients.
Now onto the dressing. In a small – medium sized bowl whisk together sour cream, minced garlic, lime juice, chopped cilantro, cumin, paprika, chipotle pepper sauce, and honey. For those of you who don’t like a lot of heat…aka my husband, add a little more honey to tame the heat from the chipotle pepper sauce. Top your salad with about 1/4 of the dressing and toss so ingredients are mixed well.
The great thing about this dressing is that it can be used for many other Tex-Mex inspired dishes. It’s great to top tacos, nachos, other salads, quesadillas or top any other meat with rice. Once you top your salad, put the remaining dressing in a plastic container with a lid. It will last for about 2 weeks.
Your salad is done! The perfect solution for a taco craving kind of day without the guilt of eating tacos. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 can black beans
- 1 ear fresh corn
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 avocado
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon cilantro
- 1½ teaspoon chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- black pepper
- Season and dice chicken
- Cook chicken thoroughly, about 5 minutes
- Set cooked chicken aside to cool
- Chop head of lettuce and add to large bowl
- Dice tomato and add to bowl
- Dice avocado and add to bowl
- Add diced carrots to bowl
- Shave ear of corn and add to bowl
- Rinse beans and add to bowl
- Add cooled diced chicken to bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk 1 cup sour cream, minced clove of garlic, ½ teaspoon chopped cilantro, ¼ teaspoon cumin, 1 shake of paprika, 1½ teaspoon chipotle pepper sauce, and 1 teaspoon honey
- Drizzle ¼ of the mixture over the salad ingredients and serve