Looking for a low carb, high protein, and ridiculously yummy weeknight meal? Boom. This is it! Believe it or not, I first found a version of this recipe in my Williams Sonoma monthly catalogue. It looked delicious, but as always, I wanted to put my own spin on it. So let’s get to it!
Build out your sauce first. Whisk together 7 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons garlic rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, and juice from 1/2 of a lime. Set aside.
Now the filling. In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil on medium heat. Add in 1/2 cup chopped green onions, 1 cup shredded carrots, 2 tablespoons grated ginger, 3 minced garlic cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Toss frequently to ensure that all veggies have been kissed by the sesame oil for about 2-3 minutes. Add the ground chicken to the veggies and allow to cook for about 5 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
Once the chicken is completely cooked, add 2 teaspoons of sriracha and 1/2 of your sauce mixture to the wok. Stir constantly for another 1-2 minutes to ensure the chicken and veggies are coated with the sauces. Annnnd…you’re done! To serve, lay 2-3 butter lettuce leaves on a plate and pile on the ground chicken mixture. Next, top with bean sprouts, chopped fresh basil, a drizzle of extra sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. So yummy, so healthy, so quick! I hope you enjoy.
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ cup green onions
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1½ tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 lb ground chicken
- butter lettuce
- bean sprouts
- fresh basil leaves
- Mix together soy sauce, garlic rice vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar and ½ of lime
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil on wok
- Add green onions, shredded carrots, grated ginger, minced garlic cloves and red pepper flakes until fragrant
- Add in ground chicken and cook until no longer pink
- Add in ½ of sauce mixture and 2 teaspoons of sriracha, mix well
- Place about 3 heaping spoons on butter lettuce leaves and top with bean sprouts, fresh basil, lime juice and additional soy sauce mixture